Newsweek ranked Hinsdale Central No. 177 nationwide on its 2012 "America's Best High Schools" feature, which was released in May and judged the country's public high schools based on graduation rate, AP tests taken per student, and average ACT/SAT scores, among other things.
was No. 6 in the state of Illinois. The top three schools in the state were selective-enrollment schools located in Chicago: Northside College Prep, Walter Payton College Prep, and Whitney M. Young Magnet. Stevenson High School and Deerfield High School were Nos. 4 and 5, respectively.
The school's ranking will be recognized during next Monday's District 86 Board of Education meeting.
Among Hinsdale Central's stats were:
- Graduation rate: 97 percent
- College matriculation rate: 97 percent
- AP tests taken per student: .7
- Average SAT/ACT scores: 1839/27.2
- Average AP score: 3.9
The Newsweek ranking came after by U.S. News and World Report. They were No. 6 in Illinois according to those rankings, as well.
District 86's other high school, , was ranked No. 21 in Illinois and No. 444 in the country.
Among Hinsdale South's stats were:
- Graduation rate: 93 percent
- College matriculation rate: 98 percent
- AP tests taken per student: .6
- Average SAT/ACT scores: 1883/22.4
- Average AP score: 3.3