Keep up with local news—like Hinsdale-Clarendon Hills Patch on Facebook.
------------Hinsdale Middle School principal Ruben Peña sent out a notification to HMS parents Wednesday detailing what their children can expect when they begin the split schedule Thursday afternoon at Clarendon Hills Middle School.
The main points are as follows:
- Starting Thursday, your child should arrive to CHMS no later than 11:50 a.m. Students can go immediately inside the main entrance and will be greeted by staff. Classes will begin at 12 p.m. Pick-up begins at 4:30 p.m.
- Bus transportation will still be provided to those students who regularly take the bus, and the routes will be the same. Students should be ready at their usual stop four hours later than usual. For example, students who usually get picked up at 7:15 a.m. should be ready for bus pick up at 11:15 a.m. Bus drop off will be the same route as usual. However, because the dismissal time is now 4:30 p.m., buses will return approximately one hour and 45 minutes later. For example, if your child’s bus normally arrives home at 3:15 p.m., it would now arrive between 5 p.m. and 5:15 p.m.
- Students who walk to school will walk to HMS and board a bus, which will transport them to CHMS. Walkers should arrive at HMS no later than 11:30 a.m. Staff will be on hand to ensure all walkers board a bus and arrive to CHMS safely. At the end of the school day, walkers will take a school bus home. The bus stop will be near students’ homes, roughly no more than two blocks. Parents can estimate that buses will drop off students within approximately 30 to 45 minutes of dismissal, between 5 p.m. and 5:15 p.m.
- We encourage families to work together to consider carpooling for those students who are typically dropped off to reduce traffic in the CHMS parking lot, or consider having them walk to HMS and take the bus to CHMS. See CHMS drop-off instructions here. The Village of Clarendon Hills has also put out a notification regarding possible delays around town Thursday and Friday.
- If you have a question or concern regarding transportation, contact Dr. Henrikson at 630-310-1485. If you are unable to reach Dr. Henrikson, please call me at 630-991-0290.
- Upon arrival to CHMS on Thursday, students will begin the day with an assembly to explain the schedule, the school’s layout, and other key information. Students will be dismissed to first period from the assembly. In their first period, students will receive an overview of safety procedures, such as fire exits. If you feel your student needs a preview of the school to reduce anxiety about being in a new building, families can visit the school tonight from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. An orchestra concert will be taking place, so parking may be fairly full, but it is an excellent opportunity to briefly see the school in advance if that will assist your child.
- If your child needs a second semester/third quarter schedule change, first period teachers will share those with students.
- Other than lunch, all other periods will still take place, including P.E., encore and exploratory classes. Class periods will be shortened to 30 to 33 minutes. The bell schedule and student schedule worksheet are attached and explain what room students will be in at CHMS.
- All student services such as physical therapy and speech will still be offered, but again, in shortened periods.
- There will be no lunch period. HMS students should plan on eating at home, before school. Students receiving free/reduced lunch will receive a sack lunch through Quest Food Service.
- HMS students should plan to carry/roll their backpacks between classes. Coat racks will be provided. Students should leave personal valuables at home; cell phones may be carried in backpacks, but should be turned off unless directed by a teacher.
- HMS students will not have access to their P.E. uniforms and should therefore plan on wearing comfortable clothing that will be appropriate for both P.E. and other classes.
- Information regarding athletics and extra-curricular activities will be shared directly by coaches and moderators. Clubs that typically meet after school are not planning to meet until school resumes at HMS.
- The choir concert scheduled for Jan. 16 (and rescheduled for Jan. 23) has been postponed. Please stay tuned for information about the new concert date.
- The team working on “Annie” is partnering with The Community House and Notre Dame Parish to schedule the following rehearsals: Friday, Jan. 24 (8 a.m. to 10 a.m.) at The Community House—"Orphans" only; Monday, Jan. 27 (10 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.) at Notre Dame Paris—full cast (Students should bring a lunch; they will walk to CHMS from Notre Dame Parish after lunch.); Tuesday, Jan. 28 (8 a.m. to 10 a.m.) at The Community House—"Servants" and "Townspeople"
- Please try to arrange transportation to these rehearsals. Other rehearsals beyond Tuesday will be announced soon. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Tabisz. Students should plan to bring their folder to rehearsal if they have them.
Supplies/HMS Locker Access
- Students are encouraged to bring basic school supplies from home if available, such as paper, pens, pencils, notebooks and textbooks. Teachers will have extra supplies available; teachers will provide any necessary materials during class.
Read Peña's full letter to HMS families here.