.

Three Hinsdale South Students Taken to Hospital After Inhaling Chemical Fumes

All three are in good condition, Tri-State fire officials said.

Three students were transported to in good condition Thursday morning after inhaling an herbicide being applied to a school courtyard, officials said.

Six people total, including three staff members, complained of nausea and headaches around 11:30 a.m. after the commercially available chemical came in through the windows and ventilation system, Tri-State Fire Chief Michelle Gibson said.

The students were taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure since their parents weren’t available to discuss the situation, but they are expected to be fine, Gibson said.

“They’re in good condition, just a little panicky from the whole event,” Gibson said.

Classes in the three affected rooms in the Darien school's science wing will be relocated for the remainder of the day, Hinsdale South Principal Brian Waterman said in a statement.

"Our pre-eminent goal at Hinsdale South High School is to maintain the safety and welfare of our students and staff," Waterman said. "If new information should arise, we will continue to keep you informed."

Lauren Williamson September 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Hi Diane, I asked on Thursday and the people on the scene weren't sure, but I'll check in with the school again. Thanks, Lauren
Diane St John September 17, 2011 at 02:14 PM
Lauren, thanks for checking on why they were using it. I would really like to know. If it was a grounds guy he may not even realize the dangers of using these products. They are available everywhere! (Round Up is thankfully becoming known to be highly toxic even though the company Monsanto who manufactures it claims "it dissipates from the soil in 7 days--it is now proven it does not and it is found in land and water everywhere). In our school district, the maintenance guy who authorized the chemicals on the lawn was an old school lawn guy and even when I tried to talk with him about other ways of maintaining the grounds his response several times was "Oh we tried that" So I wrote my article (linked above) and a letter to the paper and will follow up with the school board. With all the health and learning problems kids have these days we really need to analyze what we are all doing by applying chemicals on our own properties and schools. Even when kids are NOT in school.
Kristina Guchenia September 17, 2011 at 07:05 PM
I was there at the time. In my chemestry class. We had to be moved out because you could smell it (though no one felt bad from it). We were pretty freaked out.
Diane St John September 25, 2011 at 01:56 AM
Any word what they were spraying?
Lauren Williamson September 25, 2011 at 10:08 PM
Hi Diane, We're still working on the follow-up story. Thanks for your patience. Lauren

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »