1. : The District 181 Board of Education voted to approve a two-year extension of Superintendent Renée Schuster's contract, but two board members raised concerns and voted against it.
2. : District 86 hosted a drug symposium on Nov. 7 at Hinsdale South High School that featured several speakers, including DuPage County State's Attorney Robert Berlin, with first-hand knowledge of the dangers of heroin in the suburbs today.
3. : Firefighters responded to the fire at 3:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon and extinguished it by 4:45 p.m.; Madison Street was closed until 6:30 p.m.
4. Hinsdale News Agency Still a Downtown Sweetspot After 59 Years: With classic candies and a stable of regular customers, the family-owned newsstand is has managed to keep its old-fashioned model in a high-tech world.
5. : Patch has a look at the pricier listings new to the Hinsdale-Clarendon Hills market, according to AOL Real Estate.