I was recently asked by a Realtor who recently relocated to the our area from California, “so when does the spring market get going here in the Chicago area?”
That question started a spirited conversation in our office and the general opinion was “after the “Superbowl is over.” While there are no concrete dates -- come the end of February -- our market should begin in full swing.
Now should be the time when anyone considering putting their home for sale should review the over-all condition of their home.
- A top priority is to de-clutter your home inside and out...don’t forget closets and the garage.
- Consider a fresh coat of paint in well used areas.
- Clean your carpets and furniture. I always try to encourage sellers to make sure that buyers can walk through rooms with out bumping into furniture, that may mean re-arranging chairs etc.
- Contact a Realtor well before you get started. It takes time for a seasoned Realtor to do a thorough market analysis and to price your home accurately.
- Having professional photos taken is an absolute must, as 95% of all buyers begin their new home search on the internet.
- Consider purchasing some inexpensive items in this season’s newest colors of turquoise and coral. Pillows and towels go a long way to updating your home’s overall appearance.
- Don’t forget your front entrance, take down the christmas decorations and add a cheerful wreath or door hanging to liven up the front doorway.
Best of all try and beat the competition by getting out in front of the the full spring market by listing earlier than you thought.