It’s Downers Grove’s old 5-Miler, and the 37th one in fact, that will spring from the blocks at the Lincoln Center at 7:30 a.m. this Sunday, June 22.
Parking and street restrictions will be in place for several hours in the morning during the Downers Grove Park District’s 37th Annual 5 Miler.
An estimated 500 runners will participate in the event, which starts and concludes at Lincoln Center, 935 Maple Ave. Runners check in for the race between 6 and 7 a.m. at the Lincoln Center parking lot, which will be closed to vehicular traffic until approximately 10:00 a.m.
The following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic until approximately 9 a.m.:
- Washington Street between Maple Avenue and 55th Street
- Randall Street between Park Avenue and Webster Street
- Webster Street between Summit and Randall Street (south entrance to Lincoln Center)
- Summit Street between Webster Street and Washington Street
- Clyde Avenue between Main Street and 60th Place
- 60th Place between Main Street and Clyde Avenue
- Webster Place between 59th Street and Washington Street
- 61st between Main Street and Washington Street
- Lyman Avenue between Maple Avenue and 55th Street
Downers Grove Police will be directing traffic at the following intersections: Washington and 55th Streets, Washington and 59th Streets, Lyman Avenue and 55th Street, Main Street and 59th, Middaugh Avenue and 59th, and 59th and Grand Ave.
The course being used for the race is a USATF-certified, rolling five-mile route through scenic Downers Grove. The course is well marked and monitored and features two aid/water stations.
As a reminder, vehicular traffic will be limited on the entire course during the race. The entire course map can be viewed on the Downers Grove Park District’s website.
The 37th Annual 5-Miler is conducted by the Downers Grove Park District in cooperation with the Village of Downers Grove and CARA and sponsored by 4500 Fitness, DuPage Medical Group, Oral Health Care Professionals, LLC, Concept Care Chiropractic, Headache Center of Chicago, Suburban Life Publications, Peak Running, Red Line Press, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Lemon Tree Grocer and Downers Grove Economic Development Council.
Runners can register for the 5-Miler a the Lincoln Center, 935 Maple Ave. during business hours. Race day registration is also available at the Lincoln Center from 6 to 7 a.m. Sunday, June 22.
Participants will be grouped by gender in 15 age groups; children and teens are welcome to participate.