The following is a release from the Hinsdale Police Department:
The Village of Hinsdale wishes everyone a safe and happy Halloween and suggests the following guidelines:
- Never go trick-or-treating alone. Always go with a trusted adult or a group of friends. Small children should never be allowed to trick-or-treat alone.
- Always walk on the sidewalks, not in the street. Cross the street only at corners.
- Look both ways before crossing the street to check for cars. Never approach a vehicle even it appears no one is inside.
- If possible, use face paint instead of a mask that may cover your eyes.
- For your safety, we recommend that children should go out during daylight hours only.
- If children are allowed out after dark, outfits should be made of light colored or reflective type clothing so they are more visible. Carry a flashlight to light your way.
- Children should only stop at familiar houses in their own neighborhood unless they are accompanied by an adult.
- Instruct your child never to go into the home of a stranger or get in their car.
- Keep costumed children away from pets. The pet may not recognize the child and become frightened.
- DO NOT ALLOW your children to eat any treats until they bring them home to be examined by you.
- Wash all fruits and cut them into small pieces before eating.
- Examine candy closely and discard unpackaged and opened candies. When in doubt, throw it out.
- If your children do go out without adult supervision, agree on specific times they must check-in and return home. Make sure they bring a cell phone with.
- Teach your children to stay alert for any suspicious incidents and to report them to you (parents) and/or the police.
The Village of Hinsdale DOES NOT set trick-or-treat hours, but is recommending that children complete their trick or treating before dusk.
HAVE A SAFE HALLOWEEN!