One week after Oak Park River Forest beat Hinsdale Central on a gutsy two-point conversion call in overtime, Downers Grove North went for two and the win late in the fourth quarter Friday but was turned away by the Red Devils defense in a 21-20 Hinsdale Central win, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
After Downers North’s Brandon Salter ran back an 89-yard punt return for a touchdown with 42 seconds in the fourth quarter, the Trojans decided to go for two and the lead.
"On the decisive play, Hinsdale Central’s Brett Goss shed a blocker and led a host of tacklers who stopped Salter to cement the 21-20 victory in the 78th annual battle for the Old Oaken Bucket at Carstens Field in Downers Grove," the Sun-Times reports.
Senior Hinsdale Central quarterback Brian Owens completed 18 of 27 passes for 247 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions. Senior receiver John Claussen caught two touchdowns; junior Chase Hamilton caught one.
Downers North quarterback Dave Edwards ran for two touchdowns and threw three interceptions. Kyle Leto ran for 112 yards; Salter ran for 72.
Hinsdale Central advanced its record to 6-2. The Red Devils are 3-2 in conference play. Downers North now sits at 5-3, with a 2-3 conference record.
Watch a replay of High School Cube's broadcast of the game Friday night.
See More on Patch
- Girls Soccer: Hinsdale Central Tops Lyons for Sectional Championship
- Hinsdale South Pitcher Goes Distance in Win Over Central
- LT Baseball Tops Hinsdale Central on Walk-off Hit (Photos)
- Red Devils, Hornets Boys Basketball Remain Positive About Seasons
- Hinsdale Central Hoops: Season Ends With Playoff Loss to Geneva
Most Popular articles
- 5 Charged With Underage Drinking in Separate Incidents: Police Blotter
- Peeping Tom ID'd As Neighbor: Police Blotter
- Suspicious Men Spotted Outside Walker School, Prospect Park: Police Blotter
- Hinsdale Sports Bar Plan Bolstered by Trustees' Liquor-Related Vote
- HGTV's 'House Hunters' Comes to Hinsdale