View BP Stations that Sold Tainted Gas in a larger map
The BP at 149 E. Ogden Ave. in Hinsdale is among the stations that recently sold tainted gas from an Indiana refinery.
BP released a searchable database on their website Wednesday, where people can enter a town name to find stations that inadvertently sold the tainted gas.
Issues caused by the tainted gas include:
- hard starts, or not starting
- rough idling
The tainted gas leaves a polymeric residue that gets stuck on fuel injectors and spark plugs, leading to the hard starts, or none at all. The problem stemmed from an alkylation unit at the company’s Whiting, Ind. refinery, according to BP.
About 16,000 calls have been received as of Friday in relation to the recall, and they have started paying out claims, BP said in a release.
The company suggested the following for people who may have engine problems from the gas:
Any consumer who purchased off-specification fuel wishing to file a claim should call 1-800-333-3991 or 1-800-599-9040 to speak to a claims representative. Consumers should save sales receipts, credit/debit card records and repair bills. They can also access information and submit an online inquiry at www.bpresponse.com.
See More on Patch
Most Popular articles
- Peeping Tom ID'd As Neighbor: Police Blotter
- 5 Charged With Underage Drinking in Separate Incidents: Police Blotter
- Suspicious Men Spotted Outside Walker School, Prospect Park: Police Blotter
- Hinsdale Sports Bar Plan Bolstered by Trustees' Liquor-Related Vote
- HGTV's 'House Hunters' Comes to Hinsdale